Sunday, March 30, 2008

Tea Time

Sometimes I do think I should have been born in a different time, the time of Jane Austen, horse drawn carriage, chivalry, petticoats, hats for every outfit, and of course, afternoon tea. I realize that had I been born in Jane Austen's time I probably wouldn't have been in the class of people who actually got to partake of the lovely ritual of tea, dainty finger sandwiches, and scones with clotted cream. So I guess it's better that I live in this century, where I can go with a couple of gal pals to a grand hotel and have the chance to be treated like a real lady, have scrumptious treats and great conversation. I'm glad I have friends who like to do this. The picture above is from the hotel we went to, The Peninsula Chicago and that is exactly what our tea service looked like. Heck that might have even been my teapot.

I'm also glad I belong to a meet-up group of ladies who meet on a regular basis for Afternoon Tea. We'd been on a hiatus, but I'll be joining them in April for an afternoon of more of the same. I'm glad I only do this, at most, once a month, because it really seems like a treat then. I'm not so sure doing this everyday, like the Victorians did, would have been so special.

No comments: