Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Purse Schizophrenic?

I decided it was time for a new "everyday" purse. At this point my husband will no doubt look into the closet, see the Rubbermaid bin overflowing with all purses of every description and just plain think I've cracked a few of my marbles. What he fails to understand is that there are purses for every occasion and season. But a woman should have an everyday purse that is just basic and will "go" with everything. My everyday purse is always a black one. I couldn't use my brown sparkly beaded one, the red one in the shape of a Yorkshire terrier, or the hand stitched Tibetan one on a daily basis. This is obvious!

It was time for a new one because the one I'm about to throw in the garbage which I only paid about 10 bucks for at one of those Claire's Accessories boutiques has a sticker on it that I can't scrape off (don't ask), and let's face it, a $10 purse is only suppose to last so long and this one has gone well beyond it's expiration date.

The weather isn't too bad today, so I took myself over to Marshall's (a discount store), determined to get a new purse. My goal was to spend no more than $30, and at Marshall's this is not only possible, but probable. For those who don't know Marshall's, they carry name-brand products at low prices, the stock is always different, and you can really get some good bargains there. You gotta be careful though because sometimes prices are WAY out of line for that store. I guess it depends on the desinger that is sending the item over and how low they will let Marshall's mark it....or something. I love having lots of purses to mix it up, so I've always kept the prices down on the purses I DO buy. I've really never understood the attraction to a $300-$400 Dooney & Burke or Coach bag. Actually I can't say that I DON'T have a Coach, because I actually do...one that I paid about 75% off for at Nordstroms that is this adorable suede, the shade of powder blue that I would never think of giving up. I've only used it about 3 times, but when it matches the outfit, it is FAB!!!!!!!!!!

Anywhoooo....I headed right for the black purses and was met with quite the array....but it only took about 5 minutes to rule out about 95% of the purses (too big, too small, gaudy, wrong material, cheap looking, too expensive). But then I hit upon it. A simple in design Etienne Aigner black fabric satchel. I think Etienne Aigner is a classic, timeless, elegant designer. Nothing flashy. The purse had a suggested retail price of $67 and it was selling for $24!!!! SOLD! It has a few pockets for small things...which I always say I'll use but when truth comes to it, everything winds up getting thrown in the same section. The best thing is it isn't a walking advertisement for the designer. I hate that and if my Coach purse had those stupid "C"s all over it, I never would have bought it. So I'm happy now...I got a well-made, nice looking purse for twenty-four bucks!

Getting this purse made me think about the feature story I saw by comedienne Anita Renfro the other day on Good Morning America when I stayed home sick. It cracked me up, so I thought I'd share a bit of it. To see the video of the feature, go here.

Clutch, hand bag or purse — whatever the name of your all-inclusive accessory, it can say a lot about you. Whether you love those over-the-shoulder boulder holders or tiny totes are your thing, your pocketbook is telling the world more than you realize.
There are at least four purse analogies.


More Is More Better
This lady is the one who never really got over carrying the diaper bag and still wishes she had something that large. She normally has like a full snack bar and a working pharmacy down in her bag and is prepared for every situation in life.
The upside: Should you ever find yourself in jail, she'll be the only one in your group of friends with a MacGyver 7-in-1 tool to bust you out.

Basic Tiny Toter
This girl can get the whole contents of her day into seven square inches. I don't really understand this woman, but you can bet if she can do this that she's got some control issues.
She probably pays her bills ahead of time and has her sheets tucked in real tight on the corners of her bed.
The upside: Should you ever find yourselves in jail, she'll be the only one with the unlimited AMEX who can bail you out.

Serial Monogamist
She gets one purse and sticks with it for 12 years. She's the kind of person for whom you occasionally have to do what we call "a purse intervention." Now she's also loyal and if she'll stay with this purse for 12 years she'll hang with you.
The upside: Should you ever find yourself in jail, she's the only one in your group of friends who'll be out on the sidewalk holding a candlelight vigil with a sign that says, "My friend is innocent."

Purse Schizophrenic
This woman changes her purses more often than she changes her underwear. Sometimes she doesn't know how she's going to feel after lunch so she'll occasionally carry a purse inside of her purse just in case her mood changes.
The upside: If you find yourself in jail, she's normally the reason why you're there, BUT she's also the one who'll sit right there with you in that jail cell saying, "Isn't that the best fun we ever had honey?"


hmmm, so who am I? I think I go between a Purse Schizophrenic (hubster would be nodding the affirmative while looking in the closet) and a Basic Tiny Toter. I know my mum is a Serial Monogamist. I once bought her a nice Liz Claiborne and hadn't paid attention to the fact that she carried that thing for YEARSSSSSSSS. It does say a lot about the durabilty and quality of a Liz Claiborne though. I think if it hadn't been for the fact that the leather straps were wearing away so bad from being carried around for years, she'd still be carrying it.

Another bit in the Renfro piece was an interesting fact...that on average, women carry about 65 things in their purses. REALLY?? 65??? I thought I'd take a look in mine seeing as I'd just transferred the contents to the new purse:
  • 1 cell phone (may or may not be charged....probably NOT)
  • 1 set of house keys
  • 1 change purse with money and debit card
  • 1 bus pass holder with bus pass
  • 1 comb
  • 1 clear lip gloss
  • 1 colored lip gloss
  • 1 purse-size perfume
  • 1 bottle of Ibuprofen
  • 3 Halls throat lozengers
  • 1 pair of gloves
THAT'S IT?!?!?!? Something must be missing?

No comments: